We don’t need to parse words.
I have had enough of picking words carefully to last a lifetime. You know what not to say.
I’ll say what should be said:
Sometimes, when you argue a point with me, I want to end the argument by kissing you. Because at times, your annoying insistence on being right is also infuriatingly adorable. I know you think you’re rarely wrong. We could argue this point. But I rather enjoy listening to you talk so I’ll just let you say what you have to say. While you’re talking, just be aware that I’m sometimes thinking things like, “I need to kiss him now.” And, “I want to wake up to that face every day for the rest of my days.” And also, “He’s hot.”
Here are some things that we’re just not going to argue about, okay? Let’s agree now that I’m right:
– We will find a way to never go to bed angry. Somehow. Some way. Life is too short. Life changes in an instant. I don’t want our last thought before falling asleep to be one of conflict or anger when God never guarantees us a tomorrow.
– We will never be critical of each other in front of other people. My respect for you will always win, even when I’m madder than hell. I will defend you. I will support you. I may disagree with you. But no one will ever doubt my love and respect for you and your decisions. Please do the same for me.
– When we get married, let’s not get crazy, okay? Let’s stand under a canopy of redwoods with twinkling white lights or barefoot on the beach – focused not on all the stuff that comes with a wedding, but on our vows and the life we are creating.
“For my wedding, I don’t want violins
Or sentimental songs about thick and thin
I want a moment of silence and a moment of prayer
For the love we’ll need to make it in the world out there
To want what I have
To take what I’m given with grace
For this I pray
On my wedding day
On my wedding day”
– Don Henley
– We should have a big family. I’m right about this, Baby. When we’re in our 70’s and the kids all come home for Thanksgiving with their wives and husbands and their kids, it will be amazing. So just trust me on this one.
– We can’t always win the argument. But I promise you that my love for you will always keep me fighting for us when neither of us feel like backing down. Let’s always fight for us.